Saturday, August 22, 2009

District 9


image taken from here

DISTRICT 9
Cast :
Jason Cope, Sharlto Copley, Nathalie Boltt, Sylvaine Strike

Well actually when I decided to watched this movie, I have no idea what is the story about, even I have already read the synopsis. I just noticed this movie is about alien in human environment.

And when I was in the theatres and watch the movie, I almost have no words for review. I've been so confused to give the review. Okay, let me try to explain you about this movie and I hope I didn't give a wrong storyline*with no spoiler of course*. Firstly, this movie sets on South Africa. And I guess, this is an African Movies. Because, I don't feel any american movie style here. Well, never mind about that.

There's a field operative of MNU (Multi National United), Wikus van der Merwe. With all the crew (camera person, and some guards), make some census in District 9. He was the head manager of alien's relocate mission from district 9 to district 10. And when he entered one of alien's house, he found a bottle of fluid which suddenly sprays a dark liquid into his face. The effect of the liquid is his human's DNA has been contaminated with alien's DNA. And slow but sure, he transformated into a alien. So, what's happen next with Wikus? Can he transform back become a human? Just watch District 9.

My review of this movie as I said in the early sentence, I don't know how to give the review. There's something that made me confuse. Such as, I don't really understand what the purpose or the background of the relocate mission. In some part of this movie, there's a violence againts the aliens, there's no alien-nity or alien-ism. This movie showed a lot of arrogance side of human*most hatest part of this movie*. They subjected aliens like it has no brain to think. Besides, this movie shows that the alien can talk, can operate the plane, take care of their son*most lovable part of this movie*, etc. I don't think I have to explain all the violence(s). You have to watch it by yourself. I said in the beginning that I don't feel American movie style in this movie, want to know why? Because the picture quality it as same as documentary movie, moreover the subtitle.

Actually I like the story idea, especially there's a Peter Jackson's name in the movie poster. I thought it can be another selling point of this movie. Well, honestly from the deepest side of my thought and my heart *haha* I totally confused to give a review. Because this movie give me a reason to hate but also like it. So it's balance. And because of its balance, my rates 2.5 of 5 stars.


I'm not an expert on movie, so my notes is just an opinion from an ordinary audience of a movie.

-dimas daniel-

No comments:

Post a Comment